So you’re starting to get interested to play basketball, because you see people posting pictures and where they are playing but you have no clue where to start. So I wanted to share what you essentials and optional things.
- You’re going to need a basketball, you can’t play the game if you don’t have a ball, otherwise may as well stay home. Prices on basketball range in price from a cheap $5 walmart one to the professional Spalding NBA Official On-Court Game Ball that is about $170…. but for starters you may want to look at the one I have which is Wilson Evolution and will run you about $50 bucks and it’s a very good ball that is used on a daily basis and has been kicked plenty of times by haters on the losing team without developing any bulges.
- You can’t go out on the court and go out in flip flops, so you’re going to need a good pair of quality shoes to ball with. Some people are very religious on the type of shoes they ball with and only settle for Jordan’s or some other high end sneakers…. me personally I never ever spent more than $70 for a good pair of basketball shoes but each to their own. If you just want something good to ball with, you can go to shoe carnival and get some good adidas on sale for $45.00
- You can’t go out playing in pants or in a regular tshirt, you need something comfortable to wear while you play, so you’ll need to get some athletic gear and you don’t have to break the bank. Go to a Ross near you and buy some basketball shorts and shirt, you can probably find both for $10 each.
- In any sport, you need to keep hydrated and it’s important that you have something to store water or your gatorade/powerade or whatever you decide to quench your thirst. I bought this gatorade bottle for $2.00 at academy and it holds 32oz worth of refreshment.
- Sports bag to hold your stuff. I bought this medium sized duffel bag at Ross for about $20.00 and it holds all my stuff. You could buy one of those draw string backpacks, just anything that will hold the amount of stuff you’re going to bring.
- I’ve never met anyone that plays basketball and doesn’t break a sweat, unless they get 7-0 skunked and didn’t really bother to play. You can buy some cheap towels at Walmart for about $2 each. I have quiet a few so I don’t have to use the same one over and over.
- Slippers/Flipflops, normally when I show up to play basketball I don’t wear my shoes immediately and like to be relax while I wait on my next or after I’m done I like to take my shoes off into something more comfortable and chat for a bit before I leave… you can get some cheap ones at ross or at walmart for about $5 bucks.
- Bandaids, I would probably put this in the essentials but then again it all depends. How many times you go out and play ball and they are some guys with long ass finger nails defending you and fouling the shit out of you? Well more than likely you’ll get fouled and even get blood… so it’s good to carry a few to control the bleeding.
- Tylenol/Aspirin, when you go out and play, the last thing that is on your mind is getting injured and it doesn’t happen often but it does happen so it’s good to have some preventive measure. Maybe you get a sprained ankle or pull a muscle especially when you start getting up in age like me and it starts hurting pretty bad you can pop a few pills to get temporary relief.
- Contact Lens Solution. Many people don’t know that I really can’t see for shit but that is why I wear contacts. If you are like me and play with contacts, there many times that you get fouled in the face and a contact lens pops out and you’re fumbling around trying to find it before they step on it and tear it up… then you find it and you have nothing to rinse it with, so you end up using tap water from the fountain (if there is one) but really it’s not good, so it’s good to carry a small bottle of extra solution for your contact lenses so you can step out, rinse your contact and put it back in to play.
- Deodorant, different people have different odors when they sweat and some people have odors that are just plain unbearable. I don’t normally have smelly armpits but in the event that sometimes they start smelling like goat cheese, it’s good to have something to kill the smell.
- Cell phone charger. My wife be calling me a lot throughout the day and if I don’t answer … then I have to hear it when I get home, so it’s just best to answer your significant other when they call so it’s good to have your cell phone charged so that girls don’t be thinking you off to no good and saying “why don’t you answer your cell phone, don’t tell me it was off, I know you weren’t playing basketball”
- If you play lot of basketball, many of times you start getting cramps and one way to avoid cramps is to have potassium in your body and bananas are full of potassium so it’s good to chow down on one prior to playing to avoid cramps.
- Finally but not least, some hair gel… why? because when you play basketball, you have to look good 😛
So go out there and get the essentials and all the optional stuff can come little by little.
Latest posts by Frank Mar (see all)
- Bad officiating and brawls, a winner is declared. - May 1, 2017
- 2017 Blacktop Tournament hosted by ZTE, the Recap. - March 11, 2017
- The Love2Ball League - February 9, 2017